American Corn Bread
1¼ cup yellow mealie meal ¾ cup flour
2½ tsp baking powder 1 Tbsp sugar
¾ tsp salt 1 egg, beaten
2-3 Tbsp butter, melted 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 220°C. Grease muffin pan or scone pan very well and place in oven until hot.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, and add mealie meal.
- Beat egg, butter and milk together. Combine all ingredients with a few rapid strokes. Place batter in hot pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes - less for muffin pan. Serve immediately.
2 eggs ½ cup milk
1 x 420 g can cream style sweetcorn 1 cup eMoyeni mealie meal
1 cup cake flour 3 tsp baking powder
Blend eggs, milk and sweetcorn. Sift the dry ingredients into mixture, add sugar and mix well.
STEAM: Pour into a greased 1 litre pudding bowl or 2 greased boston bread tins. Cover appropriately. Steam for 1½ - 2 hours.
MICROWAVE: Large loaf tin. Cook for 12 mins MED/HIGH (600W oven)
OVEN: Grease one large loaf tin or small individual tins. Bake at 180°C for 45 mins or until done.
Mealie Meal Loaf
1½ cup milk 2 cups eMoyeni Mealie Meal
1 tsp salt 4 tbsp butter or margarine
3 eggs, well beaten 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 23 x 13 x 7 cm loaf tin.
- Heat 1 cup of the milk and add the butter to melt.
- Blend the remaining milk with the mealie meal.
- Add the mealie meal and salt to the hot milk and butter and mix well.
- Cool and add the beaten eggs and baking powder.
- Blend well and turn the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 30 - 40 mins. Serve fresh with butter
Mexican Mealie Meal Bread
3 cups eMoyeni mealie meal 4 tbsp sugar
1 cup onion, finely chopped 1 cup red pepper, finely chopped
250 g canned creamed sweetcorn 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
6 eggs 320 ml oil
2 cups sour cream or plain yoghurt 6 tsp baking powder
Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
Beat eggs, oil and yoghurt in another bowl. Stir in sweetcorn. Stir into dry ingredients and mix well.
Add onion and red pepper.
Turn half into greased pie dish or cake tin. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top. Spread the rest of the mixture over the cheese.
Bake at 180°C for 1 hour. Can also be baked in muffin tins - 180°C for 30 mins. Makes a large quantity!
Black Pepper and Rosemary Mealie Bread
2 large sprigs rosemary 10 ml coarse black pepper
2 eggs ¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup sugar ½ cup maize meal
¼ cup cake flour 2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt 400 g can whole corn kernels
Beat eggs, buttermilk and sugar together. Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Add coarsly chopped rosemary and pepper to mixture. Mix well.
Pour into well buttered loaf tin. Bake at 200ºC for 20-25 mins. Cool on a rack for 10 - 15 mins before turning out. Serve with butter.